Receive the highest quality training and coaching to ensure peace of mind, success, and a rewarding training experience.
We give you less stress, peace of mind, and a great relationship with you and your dog.
Get in touch today!
Get in touch today!
Maureen Backman, MS, CTC, PCT-A is the owner of Mutt About Town, which offers private dog training services in the San Francisco Bay Area. Maureen’s particular strength is combining her knowledge of counseling along with her studies in animal learning and behavior to help humans understand how to communicate and work with their dogs. She is strongly committed to using only force-free training methods.
Maureen is the founding director of The Muzzle Up! Project. Through partnering with local businesses, rescues and trainers, not only in San Francisco but across the world, Muzzle Up! aims to educate the public about dog behavior, safety, and why we don’t need to fear muzzles.
She graduated with honors from Jean Donaldson’s prestigious Academy for Dog Trainers, is certified in training by the Pet Professional Guild, and has a master’s degree in rehabilitation psychology from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
• We use only positive reinforcement training, which is scientifically shown to produce long-lasting, effective behavior change.
• We work with you so you feel involved in your dog’s learning.
• We make training fun for you and your dog.
• We design a training program that fits your family’s needs and lifestyle.
• We are committed to continuing education to ensure best practices. What’s more, our affiliation with the Academy for Dog Trainers and the Pet Professional Guild allows us to tap into the expertise of some of the leading figures in the positive reinforcement training field.
For information or to book a workshop, email Maureen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Feb 10-12: Muzzle Up! trade stand at University of Nottingham for Woof!2017 European Behavior & Training Conference
• July 17: Muzzle Up! training workshop in Portland, OR with Synergy Behavior Solutions.
• Sept (date coming soon): Muzzle Up! training workshop in Dublin, Ireland with Wonder Paws Puppy School & Family Dog Training.
• Nov 8-11: Presenting at the Pet Professional Guild Summit in Tampa, FL.
• Nov. 11- 13 2015: Maureen Backman, MS CTC will be presenting at the Pet Professional Guild Summit in Tampa, FL.
• Oct 4: Guest on Pet Professional Guild World Services Radio, speaking about The Muzzle Up! Project and the upcoming PPG summit
For more information on hosting seminars and workshops, contact Maureen Backman, MS CTC PCT-A, at email@example.com.
A common phrase I hear when I tell people what I do for a living is, “You must love playing with dogs every day, it must be non-stop smiles.” While it’s true I am fortunate to do what I do,…
As many of you know, I adopted my current dog, Earl, as a senior from Muttville Senior Dog Resuce. He came into my life three years ago and has amazed me with his resiliency and journey from a fearful dog into loving, feisty, spirited…
Originally posted on The Muzzle Up! Project:
When I first launched The Muzzle Up! Project, I developed it with three objectives: 1) Reduce stigma surrounding muzzles 2) Provide high-quality information about muzzle training and safety 3) Give owners whose dogs…
“I appreciate all your help and everything you have taught both of us. I lean on those tools every day. I know so much more than when I started and I am glad we found someone so gentle, present and patient. I did not realize until I got Bunny how many trainers do not understand the nuances of fear and use methods that only exacerbate it. I’m sure part of it is wanting things to go faster, to be successful, perhaps the owners push, I’m sure they do. Thank you for taking on the extraordinary, with integrity. “
We hired Maureen to help out newly adopted senior dog, Polliwog, who was having some predatory instincts towards smaller dogs. We met at our home and she taught us some exercises to help Pollie with impulse control–getting her to pay attention to us when her deep doggie brain instinct is “SMALL FURRY CREATURE, MUST CHASE AND EAT!” She also met with us at the dog park to see exactly what was going on with Pollie around other dogs. That was super helpful because that was exactly what we needed help with: the real life situation at the dog park when a yappy little dog gets up in Pollie’s face. Maureen was patient, kind, commanding, and well-educated. She was very communicative via email for any questions I had and was quick to assess Pollie’s personality, strengths and limitations. Maureen only uses positive reinforcement and as a result, Pollie was enriched and stimulated by our sessions. We began to see results pretty quickly. Any training is a process with a dog, but Maureen made it much easier and more pleasant. I would call her again if any other issues come up with Pollie.